Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Myles Brody

March 31, 2006

I graduated from Harvard in 2001 with my BA in Jewish Studies. I then spent 3 years learning in the kollel in Yeshivat Har Etzion in Israel, following which I began learning and teaching in Yeshivat Hakotel, in Jerusalem. I received my semicha this year, and continue teaching in Yeshivat Hakotel as well as Yeshivat Eretz Hatzvi. I began studies toward my doctorate in Jewish Philosophy this year in Hebrew University.

I married Rocky (formerly Shapiro) of Chicago, IL in June 2003. Gila Avital, our adorable daughter, was born in August 2005.

We live in Jerusalem, and have officially made aliyah!

Currently driving: We drive a white 2002 Mazda Demio. Most cars in Israel are white - I don't know why. I don't think Mazda sells that model in the US. But I still have fond memories of my car in high school overheating with my friends sitting on the hood when we celebrated the Rockets championship in downtown.

Personal appearance: I have not changed anything - I still part my hair in the middle! Rocky made me throw out my flannel shirts from high school when we got engaged. She doesn't
believe that I was cool in high school, because of my clothing. But I told her that I was cool (hence why I didn't change my shirts for 7 years), but lost it at Harvard, and now she has made me cool again!

What aspect of the HA do you actually think about on a semi-regular basis?
My parents' involvement. Also, the lack of serious Torah learning there comes up occasionally with my students.

In retrospect, glad you went there? Yes.

When was the last time you read your yearbook? Several years. I can't even remember what is in it. But I hope to look at it in a few weeks when I am in Houston (some of my stuff is still there, even though I haven't lived there for a bunch of years).

If you have a spouse or significant other, would you hide the yearbook or show it to them? Show it to them - because I can't remember if there is anything to hide! And I still resent the fact that Libbie and Michelle didn't sign my yearbook!

Where do you see yourself in another 10 years? Living in israel - besides that, don't know.

Email: mylesbrody at yahoo dot com, or mbrody at post dot harvard dot edu