Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Miriam Rosenblatt

June 26, 2006

After high school, I spent two lovely years in Israel at Sharfman's, becoming the fafrummy that I am today. Then two years in NY at Stern College, graduating in 1999 with a degree in English Communications (translation: I didn't really learn anything). Married Rabbi Yoav Druyan in August 1999, made aliyah in September 1999. Acquired a lovely mortgage in July 2002. Best of all, Sarah Rochel Druyan was born to us March 28, 2006, and everything has gotten more exciting since then.

We live in Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel - wanna come for shabbos?

I've been working at Talk'n'Save (www.talknsave.net) for the last six and a half years (although on maternity leave now - I love Israel, where you get 12 weeks off, PAID, and up to a year off, no penalty), where I've gone from being the person-who-worked-the-only-computer to the manager of the large billing department. My husband (a really really really great guy whom I like A LOT, even if he is from NY - I finally got my bachur!) works as a teacher at various yeshivas and seminaries (including Sharfman's!) and a local elementary school. He's also an ambulance driver / EMT with Hatzala.

Currently driving? Don't think I didn't cry when I got rid of my Saturn, Papagano. Now driving a Honda Civic, which replaced the Nissan Almera that we - oops! - totalled. Long story.

What tattoos, hair color, piercing etc... do you have? Got my ears pierced one year after high school, easily the last girl in our class to do so. As for hair, I have a brown sheytle, a reddish sheytle, etc.

Ever think about the Hebrew Academy? It occured to me while I was in seminary, and I am frequently reminded, that compared to kids from the religious schools in NY, for example (where they had many more hours of judaic studies every day, and on a higher level than we did), we got a more broad education than a lot of our generation did. In Jewish studies, we really learned a little bit of everything, so while we may not have had all the details, few concepts were totally foreign to us.

That, and how cool was it that we got to set so many things on fire in Mrs. Yauch's class?

In retrospect, glad you went there? As opposed to the many alternatives (Bellaire, Westbury, HSPVA (sorry Rachel)), OH yeah!

When was the last time you read your yearbook? Um, two years ago, when we were visiting in Houston.

If you have a spouse or significant other, would you hide the yearbook or show it to them? Oh, he's seen it. Poor thing got the tour. He went to public school, so it's a bit of a contrast.

Where do you see yourself in another 10 years? Please God by then the mortgage will be paid off, so I'll be able to stop working, I hope. We'll be living here, and I hope we'll have a houseful of wonderful, perfect children, all slightly more intelligent and much better looking than me.

Anything else to say? I amaze myself that even now, there are sentences I begin with, "A boy / girl in my class did x, y, z." And our home here in Israel is really open to anyone who wants to come stay!

Email: miriam at talknsave dot net
Blog: http://druyan.blogspot.com/