Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Miriam Abramowitz

April 4, 2006

Here's a brief rundown on the past decade. Graduated from Barnard at Columbia University in May 2000. Took a job for 3 years in NYC as an editor at Doubleday, an imprint of Random House. Loved the job mostly-- claim to fame: worked on the Da Vinci Code (find my name in the acknowledgments). But the city began to wear me down and decided I needed a break.

Started a Masters degree at Hebrew University in Israel in January 2003. Found myself unimpressed by the Masters program, but very impressed by a boy. Met Aron Shaviv my first weekend in Israel -- IDF officer, born in England, raised in Israel, Australia, Canada ---worked for the Ministry of Defense, and now works as a political strategist. We married 11 months after we met.

I started working as a literary editor at The Jerusalem Post over 2 years ago. Now am Arts and Entertainment editor at the same newspaper. We are excitedly expecting our first baby in July.

We are waiting to move into our new home in Modi'in ( a city between J'lem and Tel Aviv) any day now.

Currently driving? Honda Civic 2005.

What tattoos, hair color, piercing etc... do you have? Grateful to have skipped the tattoo thing, hair is on the blonde side at the moment, zero piercings.

What aspect of the HA do you actually think about on a semi-regular basis? Occasionally have nightmares about tests in Weintraub's class. That's the extent of it.

In retrospect, glad you went there? I don't resent having gone there. Wish I had a better background in languages. Why we took an inane, antiquated computer class with a complete ignoramous instead of learning French or Spanish is beyond me. But that's just getting me started.

When was the last time you read your yearbook? My senior year of highschool.

If you have a spouse or significant other, would you hide the yearbook or show it to them? If I could find it, I'd show it. Why not? I doubt he'd be interested though.

Where do you see yourself in another 10 years? Hopefully still in Israel with 2-3 more kids, my whole extended family still happy and healthy, and a bigger house in a more pastoral setting.

Anything else? My email address is miriamashaviv at gmail dot com if you'd like to say hi.

Email: miriamashaviv at gmail dot com (we wrote it twice for those of you who need extra help - ed.)

UPDATE: Miriam gave birth to a little girl, Ma'ayan Kineret, on July 4th. Pictures!